If you have a habitability problem, you can turn to our team to get the help you need to resolve it.
At Tarantino Law, PLLC, we have extensive experience in matters of real estate law. This area of the law covers more than just property sales; it also covers issues of habitability–that is, whether the property in question meets certain standards that make it fit for people to live there. Whether you are a tenant struggling to get your landlord to make necessary repairs, or you are a landlord who wants to stay compliant with habitability regulations, you can turn to our team to get the expert assistance you need.
Under North Carolina law, landlords have certain responsibilities when it comes to the habitability of their rental properties. These responsibilities include:
- Keeping the windows and doors in good repair
- Providing hot and cold running water
- Making sure the HVAC system works
- Ensuring the electrical wiring works
- Keeping the plumbing in good condition
- Providing functional water fixtures for sanitation (toilet and bath/shower)
- Making sure any gas lines work properly
- Maintaining the floors
- Ensuring that the stairs and railings are safe
- And providing working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
Under these regulations, landlords are required to make any repairs needed for items that fall under their responsibility, and to cover the costs. In addition, they have to make the repairs within a reasonable time after receiving a written request from the tenant in question. If the landlord fails to fix the problem in a timely manner, the tenants are legally allowed to seek rent abatement, and can also report the issue to local officials. Lastly, there may be additional habitability issues that are covered by your county or city laws, so you should always speak to an attorney to get all the information. If you need help with habitability concerns in Mooresville, North Carolina, we encourage you to give us a call.